Happy Meatless Monday! I’ve decided to take the plunge and become a part-time vegan. What this means is that each day, I will abstain from eating any kind of animal products (meat, dairy, eggs, etc.) until 6 p.m. where I may have animal products for dinner.
For this first day back on the vegan wagon, I decided to make a tofu sandwich. Crushed tortilla chips, adobo, honey and lime coated tofu is fried and sandwiched in-between two slices of whole grain bread with freshly mashed avocado and sliced tomato.
Tortilla Crusted Tofu Sandwiches
1 package of extra firm tofu, drained
1 cups of tortilla chips, crushed
1-2 tbsp. Adobo (1 tbsp. for crushed chips, the rest to taste)
1 tbsp. honey*
2 tbsp. olive or other cooking oil
1/2 lime, juiced
2 shakes of garlic powder
1 ripe medium avocado
1 medium tomato
6 slices of bread (brand and kind is your choice), toasted
1. Drain and slice the tofu into six pieces. Add a tablespoon of oil to a frying pan and heat on medium.
2. In a dish, add the crushed tortilla chips and adobo. In another dish or bowl, stir honey and lime juice together until combined.
3. Brush the honey mixture onto the tofu and press into the crushed chips. Repeat on the other side of tofu as well as the other pieces.
4. Once the pan is hot, carefully place the tofu into the pan and cook until browned. Flip and cook the other side. Sprinkle garlic powder while cooking. (Note: the ‘breading’ won’t coat the tofu completely as there is no egg or milk being used)
5. While the tofu cooks, toast the bread, pit and mash the avocado. Sprinkle some adobo on the avocado and mix.
6. Once the tofu is done, take off of heat. Place two pieces onto a slice of bread for each sandwich and top with a slice of tomato.
7. Spread some of the mashed avocado on the other slice, place on top of the other half, and enjoy!
This sandwich was so good I almost didn’t notice the lack of cheese on it. I might add some diced jalapeno and/or sriracha next time for a kick.
Do you have any favorite vegan bites you love to make/eat?
*I know some don’t consider honey to be vegan and others do, so you can always omit the honey and try agave syrup or maple syrup instead