So it’s been a minute since I’ve posted anything, and boy, what a time to be back.
I had been planning on updating you all on the exciting things going on in my life, including some of the lovely food and drink I’ve been having–you won’t be surprised to learn that lots of cheese has been involved–and I still will in another post, but felt it would be a bit callous to not acknowledge what’s going on.
Probably the most impactful event I’ve (and probably many of you) experienced in my lifetime–outside of 9/11–the current global pandemic has completely upended daily life as we know it. Activities we’ve taken for granted like going out to eat/drink, using public transportation, going to work and school, traveling have all been put on hold and replaced with a new ‘normal’ with things like social distancing, self-isolation, and a scary amount of uncertainty–something I know that’s stirred up a lot of anxiety in me and I’m sure everyone else.
That being said, I’m focusing on the positives–I’m healthy, my family and friends are all okay, I have an amazing flatmate who I can openly talk to, etc…I’m fortunate that this list is pretty long.
Since it’s very likely a complete lockdown will be happening in the coming days, I’ve compiled a list of a few things I’ll be doing to keep myself busy and sane:
- Finish coursework–classes are cancelled, but I still have two assessments due in mid-April, so I’ll be using some of my time to work on them.
- Brush up on my Spanish and try to learn some French (again)–I studied Spanish for several years in school, but I am definitely a bit rusty. I also started learning French a few years ago, but didn’t keep up with it–one of my favorite phrases I still remember is ‘a tout a l’heure’ just because it sounds like a fancier version of ‘toodle loo’.
- Supporting local restaurants + small businesses–buying a takeaway, vouchers, paying it forward with meals for the elderly + vulnerable, I’ll be doing what I can within my means to help keep my favorite local places stay afloat.
- Working Out @ Home–I’m too antsy and eat far too much to not do some form of physical activity, so home workouts will be happening. Plus a daily dose of endorphins never hurt anyone.
- Read–I have a couple of books including The Cheesemongers Tales that I’m really looking forward to reading.
- Start a new Netflix Series–I’ve heard really good things about The Stranger, so I’ll probably watch that.
And of course, I’ll be posting on here. 🙂
In the meantime, enjoy this pic of pimento cheese I made last weekend–approved by a Southerner no less! Apologies for any hanger it may cause.