Rich, creamy and just the right amount of sweetness, milkshakes are a classic warm (and cold) weather treat. The problem is, milkshakes are chock full of sugar and unhealthy fat. Plus, those who can’t eat dairy or don’t by choice, can’t enjoy a milkshake. Until now.
By playing mad food scientist (as I often do), I have made a fantastic, vegan mylkshake that rivals any traditional dairy based shake. Seriously, it is so good.
I give you…
The Nutty Hawaiian Mylkshake
1 c. unsweetened vanilla almond milk
1/2 c. coconut cream (use only thick part of full-fat coconut milk)
2 medium or one large banana
1 c. ice (if bananas aren’t frozen)
2 tbsp. macadamia nuts (finely ground)
2 tbsp. dark cocoa powder (provides a stronger chocolate flavor)
2 tbsp. honey (I know that there’s debate whether it’s vegan or not, so you can sub in agave syrup or raw sugar)
2 tbsp. ground flaxseed (I had some leftover from the magic bars)
Topping: Whipped Coconut Cream
1/2 c. coconut cream
1-2 tsp. honey (more or less depending on preference)
(Optional: any leftover macadamia nuts for garnish)
1. Put banana and ice into blender. If using frozen banana, remember to peel and cut into medium sized chunks beforehand.
2. Add the macadamia nuts, cocoa powder, honey, and flaxseed.
3. Scoop out the coconut cream and add to blender.
4. Add almond milk and blend until smooth.
5. In a small bowl, quickly whip coconut cream with honey for three minutes or until fluffy.
6. Pour the shake into three or four glasses, top with the cream and enjoy!
If you try the recipe, let me know in the comments what you think! And to any native Hawaiians reading this, hopefully I didn’t offend you (I’ve heard you all have a great sense of humor ;))!