An icebox pie that puts all others to shame… this creamy, sweet, and quite healthy treat is a perfect summertime dessert. Oh, and it’s vegan friendly!
Banana/Strawberry Nice Cream
1 c. frozen strawberries
3-4 small bananas, frozen
1 tbsp maple syrup
2-3 tbsp. vodka or rum (keeps the mixture creamy if you’re not using an ice cream maker)
1/4 c. water
Coconut Nice Cream
2 cans full fat coconut milk (13.5oz each)
2 tbsp. cornstarch
3 tbsp. maple syrup
1 tsp. vanilla
2-3 tbsp. vodka or rum (again, if you aren’t using an ice cream maker)
About 1/2 a package of Famous Chocolate Wafers (they’re like a crispier Oreo cookie sans cream)
1 c. frozen cherries
1 tsp. maple syrup
2 tsp. cornstarch mixed with 1/3 c. hot water
Chocolate “shell” drizzle
1 c. dark chocolate morsels or chopped up bar
1 tsp. coconut oil
Finishing touches: Chopped almonds or other nut of your choice
1. In a glass pie dish (about 10″ diameter), place the wafers on the bottom and on the sides of the dish. Fill in any spaces with smaller and/or crushed pieces of the wafers.
2. In a blender or food processor, mix the ingredients to the banana/strawberry nice cream until smooth. You can pour the mixture over the crust and freeze for an hour to set if you aren’t putting into an ice cream maker (20mins in maker before crust).
3. In a medium bowl, whisk together the ingredients for the coconut nice cream and pour into the ice cream maker and mix for twenty minutes. If not using a maker, pour the mixture into a 13×9″ glass baking dish and freeze until it is slushie-like in consistency. Spoon onto the banana/strawberry layer and freeze for another two to three hours. (Do not freeze for over four hours if you didn’t use an ice cream maker or else the texture will be very popsicle-like, aka impossible to cut/put a fork into… if this happens, grab some popsicle sticks and enjoy it that way!)
4. While the pie is freezing, purée the cherries, maple syrup and cornstarch mixture until smooth. Set aside and chill until the pie is ready.
5. Once the pie is ready, allow to sit out for 15-20 minutes before cutting. While the pie is thawing, melt the chocolate and coconut oil in a microwave safe glass measuring cup. Heat in 20 second intervals until the oil and chocolate are melted and the mixture is completely smooth.
6. Drizzle the cherry purée and chocolate, and sprinkle the chopped almonds over the pie. Grab a knife and cut some slices, plate it up and enjoy!